Research Off Campus

How can I contact a librarian to get help with my research?

The Library offers several ways to contact a librarian for help. If you are off campus you can contact us using ASK US. Email questions are answered within 24 business hours, but usually much sooner. If you need extensive assistance your question will be directed to the subject specialist for your topic.

You can also instant message us by using the Meeo wideget on the ASK US page or by using the screen name librarianchat in AOL, Yahoo, MSN, or GoogleTalk. Instructions for using instant messaging can be found in ASK US chat. Librarians will be happy to work with you on finding accessible resources for your research.

What types of materials are available to me electronically when I am off campus?

Current Claremont Colleges students have access off campus to nearly all electronic resources available from on campus--journal articles, e-books, reference sources, image databases, and much more. When accessing most electronic resources off campus, a pop-up window you will ask you to choose your institution and enter your username and password. This is the same username and password you use to login to your own campus systems such as Sakai, Canvas, etc.

How can I do research in journals & newspapers?

For research in scholarly or popular journals or newspapers use the Library’s databases or the subject research guides. Most electronic resources are available remotely to all current students, faculty, and staff. When accessing an electronic resource off campus you will be asked to choose your institution and enter your username and password. This is the same username and password you use to login to your own campus systems such as Sakai, Canvas, etc.

Can I use Resource Sharing (ILL) while I am abroad?

You can use Resource Sharing (ILL) for requesting articles or chapters from items we do not own at the Library. When processed by our Resource Sharing team, these items will be sent to you electronically, through email, just as if you were on campus. You may not, however, request books when you are away from the campus, as these must be picked up and returned in person to the Claremont Colleges Library.

Can I use electronic books (ebooks) while I am away?

The Library has access to many ebooks, all of which are available to you when you are away from the campus. In some cases, such as with books from netLibrary it is necessary to set up a (free) account to access these books. If you have trouble setting up the account, contact Margaret Hogarth for help.

Can I use Lexis/Nexis and other full text electronic newspapers outside of Claremont?

Electronic newspapers are available remotely to all current students, faculty and staff. You can find a list of newspaper resources in the database list by type and format, Newspapers & General Interest Magazines. Listed there are some available historical newspapers as well as current newspaper databases such as Lexis/Nexis and Newsbank, which provide the full text of hundreds of local, national, and international newspapers. When accessing a newspaper off campus you will be asked to enter your last name and Claremont Colleges ID.

Will I have access to digital images when I am away from campus?

Yes, you will have access to the Claremont Colleges Digital Library. The CCDL collections cover a broad range of subject areas and disciplines including psychology, college history, art, business management, and mathematics. Video taped lectures, digitized photographs, senior theses in pdf and video are among the forms of materials found in the CCDL.

Image sources include ARTstor and Grove's Dictionary of Art Online. ARTstor contains a digital collection of over 500,000 art images including architecture, painting, sculpture, photography, decorative arts, and design. Grove's Dictionary of Art Online contains the full text of the 34-volume Grove's Dictionary of Art and includes searchable image collections covering hundreds of areas in the visual arts. Choose Grove's and select "Art image collections" to access these collections.

I am doing research using local resources while I am abroad. Is there anything I need to be aware of?

Great! You will have a once in a lifetime opportunity to do primary research while you are abroad. The thing to remember is that when you get home you very likely will not have access to these same materials, so you need to copy any materials you might need and document the materials that you do use so you can cite them in your research. Often students come back to Claremont thinking they will have the same access to these materials they did in the local library in the small town they visited. Sometimes you might, but more often, even in the internet age, these materials are not available to you online. So do your research, interview local experts, and copy, cite and document!

What if I have problems accessing materials? Is there someone I can contact?

Whenever you have problems using resources from the Library’s web site (logging in, accessing a database, etc.), email the library staff using the ASK US email. We will verify that your account is correctly entered in the Library’s system. We may have to contact your college to verify this information.

You may also use ASK US if you just want to ask advice about research you are doing while you're away. Or you may want to contact the subject specialist for your subject directly.

Last updated: 8/26/2015 6:57:31 PM