- Sources from the Everett D. Graff Collection of Western Americana at the Newberry Library, Chicago.
- Papers of early pioneers, explorers and hunters, including James Audubon.
- Canada and the Pacific Northwest including accounts of the Gold Rush and the landscape.
- Prospectuses and city directories.
- The growth of railway and road networks through maps and through records of key railroad companies.
- Emigrants guides, manuscript travel journals, store catalogues, illustrations and maps enable scholars to understand the phenomenon of Westward expansion.
- Accounts of ranches and of the prairie lands document the agricultural transformation of the West.
- Literary and historical works, contemporary newspapers and posters, first hand accounts of the lives of vigilantes and outlaws.
- Native American history and culture.
Need assistance? Contact the Web Administrator.